Oats are life. Period. They are such a wholesome and versatile food. Oats are an excellent energy source and they fuel our bodies for the long working day. I go through periods where I become obsessed with oats and have them every single morning. I have taken a break from oats for now as I try to figure out digestive issues but I know it won’t be long until I am tucking into another comforting bowl of goodness.
Today’s recipe is simple and can be adapted to suits anyone’s dietary needs. Change up the combination of flavours and have fun experimenting with different toppings.
You will need:
-3/4 cup of oats (I always try to buy organic steel cut oats but other types are also fine.)
-1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
-1 teaspoon of agave (you can use stevia or other natural sweetener)
-1/2 cup of fresh raspberries
-1 cup of fresh blueberries
-pinch of freshly ground cinnamon
-1 tablespoon of Linseed’s flax seed mix.
This product is a personal favourite! It contains milled flax, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds and goji berries. Great for putting on top of oats and smoothies. I bought mine online through Holland and Barrett.
- Combine the oats and almond milk in a small sauce pan over a low heat. Stir until the milk the heats up and the oats thicken as they cook. Add water if you want it to be runnier.
- Add half of the blueberries into the oat mix and continue to stir for 1 minute.
- Once it is cooked add the agave and cinnamon and stir.
- Pour the tasty oats into a bowl ready for the toppings! Try not to sample some along the way. I do this way too often and end up with hardly any oats in the bowl because I have zero self control!
- Be creative with the way you place your toppings. I like to make mine symmetrical and pretty but this isn’t needed at all.
Note : Fresh berries can be expensive and are not always in season. Frozen berries work just as well Another tasty combination is grated apple and carrot with cinnamon or banana with nut butter. Yum!!